Thursday 22 November 2012

Review: Sweet Venom - Tera Lynn Childs

Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs, published by Templar on 4th September 2012

Goodreads synopsis:
Three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful Gorgon maligned in myth, must reunite and embrace their fates.

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it's also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters. . .



Review:
I loved this book which was a fun and enjoyable read.  I adore stories which weave in elements of classic mythology and Tera Lynn Childs has done such a good job of it here.  I was intrigued by the idea of three girls who are the teenage descendants of Medusa and I couldn't wait to find out what their fates were going to be.  I ended up taking this with me to read in bed as it was so gripping and engrossing that just reading a few chapters wasn't enough.  I stayed up half the night so I could finish it!

The opening chapter from the point of view of Gretchen was fantastic.  It hooked me into the story and really whet my appetite for the rest of the book.  It kept getting better and better from that moment on with so much fantastic action and adventure.

I thought the three main characters, Gretchen, Greer, were all brilliant.  They have distinct and very different personalities but I enjoyed seeing how they were drawn together by a common goal.  My absolute favourite was Grace who seems to be the glue that brings the sisters together but I also liked Gretchen who is very sharp and witty and comes out with some of the best lines in the book.  She comes across as tough and independent but I enjoyed seeing her mellow slightly as the story progressed.  The narrative alternates between them and this worked really well in allowing each girl to establish herself to the reader, as well as tell her part of the story.

There are some intriguing boys in the book too who I'm dying to know more about.  There's the enigmatic Thane, the too hot to handle Nick and sweet Milo.  I'm betting that there's a lot more to all the boys than originally meets the eye and I'm sure Tera Lynn Childs has plenty of surprises up her sleeve which she'll unveil later in the series.

The ending was explosive and left me on the edge of my seat.  I can't wait now for the sequel 'Sweet Shadows' coming in 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails