Monday 16 May 2016

Review: Chasing the Stars - Malorie Blackman

Chasing the Stars by Malorie Blackman, published by Doubleday on 21st April 2016

Goodreads synopsis:
Olivia and her twin brother Aidan are heading alone back to Earth following the virus that wiped out the rest of their crew, and their family, in its entirety.

Nathan is part of a community heading in the opposite direction. But on their journey, Nathan’s ship is attacked and most of the community killed. Only a few survive.

Their lives unexpectedly collided, Nathan and Olivia are instantly attracted to each other, deeply, head-over-heels – like nothing they have ever experienced.

But not everyone is pleased. Surrounded by rumours, deception, even murder, is it possible to live out a happy ever after . . . ?  



Review:
I wanted to like this book.  I thought that I would like it.  It sounded right up my alley with a plot which is based on Shakespeare's Othello but set in space.  How awesome does that sound?!  I usually love books that are a spin on a Shakespeare play but this one didn't do it for me at all.  There was too much sci-fi, I thought that the dialogue was quite wooden and clunky and I didn't find the relationships between the characters very believable, especially the insta-love between Vee and Nathan.

The story seemed to take an age to really get going and as this is quite a big book, I toyed with the idea of giving up on it and moving onto something else.  However, I'm always hopeful that things will pick up and improve and I like to give every book a fair chance, so I carried on until the end.  But I just didn't enjoy it at all.  I do have a rocky relationship with Malorie Blackman's writing.  Some of her books I've thoroughly enjoyed and others have been more of a struggle to finish.  Sadly, 'Chasing the Stars' just wasn't for me, although I will still be looking out for other Shakespeare spin-offs in the future.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails