Friday 29 July 2011

Review: Everlasting (The Immortals #6) - Alyson Noel

Everlasting (The Immortals #6) by Alyson Noel, published by Macmillan Children's Books on 1st July 2011

Goodreads synopsis:
Everlasting is the sixth and final instalment of the epic love story that has enchanted readers across the world. Ever and Damen have spent centuries facing down bitter rivals, jealous friends and their own worst fears – all in the hope of being together forever.

Now in Everlasting, their destiny is finally within reach. Will they be united, or torn apart forever?



Review:
At last, the final book in The Immortals series!  After following the ups and downs of the romance between Ever and Damen, I was desperate for them to get their happy ever after.  I'm a sucker for an epic romance and the one between our two protagnists has spanned decades so is certainly deserving of that moniker. 

In 'Everlasting', Ever very much takes centre stage.  The book is about her story and her journey; the one that she's always been destined to make.  I enjoyed seeing Ever having to rely purely on her own wits and gut instincts and having to try and make the right decisions even when they might seem wrong to everyone else around her.  A lot has happened to her throughout the series but every step she's taken has led up to this point; the moment when she has to make the biggest decision of them all.

It was also interesting seeing the majority of the story take place in Summerland and the Shadowland, rather than the earth plane.  I've always adored the idea of Summerland being a magical place where Ever and Damen can be together and where anything is possible purely through the magic and wonder of being able to manifest the things you desire the most. 

I loved the section in the middle of the story where Ever goes back to revisit her very first past life.  One of the things I've always liked about the Immortals series is the way that Alyson Noel has explored the idea of reincarnation and past lives.  This is really fascinating and works beautifully as a device to show the endless love between Ever and Damen, no matter what lives they may be living at the time. 

Many familiar faces from earlier books are featured throughout, as they too get their final conclusion.  I enjoyed seeing how everything finally turned out for everyone and there are certainly some surprises in store for some of the characters. 

The book ties up all the plot threads and the story draws back a step to show the bigger picture - the journey of the soul and the meaning of life and true love.  The ending completely took me by surprise.  I had my suspicions about what might happen but yet again Noel threw in several curveballs to keep me guessing right up to the very end. 

I'm so sad that the Immortals series is over!  I'm really going to miss reading about Ever and Damen and all the obstacles that have stood in the way of their being together.  I'm very excited about Alyson Noel's new Soul Seekers series and if it's only half as good as the Immortals then it'll be a winner with me!     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails