Friday 20 July 2012

Review: Devilish - Maureen Johnson

Devilish by Maureen Johnson, published by HarperCollins Children's Books on 7th June 2012

Goodreads synopsis:
Ally and Jane may not be that popular but they're good friends...that is until they each get allocated a freshman, a 'little' to show the ropes to at school. Cracks begin to show as Ally changes into a whole different person, literally overnight. She's dressed better, making new friends, and ditching Jane more and more. But Ally's transformation has its price. And it's up to Jane to save her former BF from a ponytail-wearing, cupcake-nibbling devil in disguise!



Review:
I previously enjoyed 'The Name of the Star', the first book in Maureen Johnson's Shades of London series, as well as '13 Little Blue Envelopes' so I was looking forward to reading more by her.  Sadly 'Devilish' didn't quite meet my expectations.

The story itself was pretty unusual.  It's about a girl who makes a deal with the devil to become popular and her best friend who is determined to save her no matter the cost.  The quirky plot didn't particularly engage me and I kept thinking how far fetched the whole thing was.  Although the initial idea of selling your soul to the devil was interesting, in reality it didn't actually work for me. 

Extremely light-hearted but lacking any real substance, I was hoping for much more from this book.  It was funny in places but the humour wasn't consistent throughout and I found myself reading on just to get to the end and see what was going to happen.  The ending was also quite abrupt and left some elements of the story underdeveloped. 

I'm a fan of the paranormal but I thought that 'Devilish' lacked that essential spark which I look for in a book.  I've read some great reviews of this title so there are lots of people out there that loved it but it fell a bit flat for me.

1 comment:

  1. Aww I'm sorry you didnt enjoy this one, I have it on my tbr but I havent got round to it yet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails