Friday 6 December 2013

Review: The Lost Boys - Lilian Carmine

The Lost Boys by Lilian Carmine, published by Ebury Press on 26th September 2013 

Goodreads synopsis:
Fate has brought them together. But will it also keep them apart? Having moved to a strange town, 17-year-old Joey Gray is feeling a little lost, until she meets a cute, mysterious boy near her new home. But there’s a very good reason why Tristan Halloway is always to be found roaming in the local graveyard.


Review:
Girls, ghosts and forbidden love.  All the ingredients for what should be a stellar read but which for me, didn't quite live up to my admittedly high expectations.  'The Lost Boys' was a Wattpad sensation for author Lilian Carmine and this book is the first in a trilogy featuring main character Joey and the handsome but ghostly Tristan. 

Described as being perfect for fans of Stephenie Meyer and Lauren Kate, I really wanted to love this title but it didn't sweep me off my feet as I was hoping it would.  It focuses on teenager Joey who at the start of the book meets Tristan in the graveyard near to her house.  I won't spoil you with what happens next except to say that the two share a very unusual bond which leads to them going off to attend boarding school together.  The latter half of the book centres on Joey's friendships with the other boys at the school, as well as her budding romance with Tristan. 

My main issue with this book is that I found some of the dialogue to be extremely stilted.  This could possibly be because the author is Brazilian.  It just didn't flow off the page particularly well, so I found it difficult to become fully immersed in the story or to care hugely about the characters. 

Although this title wasn't for me, there are millions of Wattpad readers that have fallen in love with Joey and her boys and would disagree with me, so I would suggest that if it piques your interest, you give it a try for yourself.  It will appeal to fans of paranormal romance and ghostly love affairs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails