Monday 1 September 2014

Review: Dark of the Moon - Siobhan Curham

Dark of the Moon by Siobhan Curham, published by Electric Monkey on 3rd July 2014

Goodreads synopsis:
For Grace, being shipwrecked on a deserted island has brought two good things: new friendships . . . and Cruz, her soulmate. But as her romance with Cruz intensifies, so do the strange happenings on the island. A girl haunts Grace’s dreams – but what does she want? And will she ever let Grace leave?

Love, betrayal and voodoo darkness, beneath a seething sun . . .


Review:
Dark of the Moon’ is the second book in the Shipwrecked trilogy by Siobhan Curham.  I will admit that the opening instalment in the series didn’t totally wow me, although I found it enjoyable enough but the excitement steps up in this one which I devoured and really loved. 
 
I enjoyed it much more than the first book because I felt like I was thrown right into the middle of the action.  Siobhan Curham never once let up on the sense of danger which hangs over the group or the sense of unease that you experience from them being on the island.  There were also a lot more intriguing and unexpected twists along the way which had me hook, line and sinker. 
 
Grace and her friends are still trying to escape the island and the Voodoo Queen Hortense.  When they leave on a boat, hoping to find their way home, they realise that escape may not be possible until Hortense’s plan has played out to its full conclusion.   
 
There's romance between Grace and her boyfriend Cruz, plus friendship drama between Grace and Jenna who is struggling to hold things together.  The other secondary characters, Belle, Todd and Flea also feature but I kept expecting something terrible to happen to one of them the whole way through.
  
The ending was a huge surprise. Wow!  I didn’t see it coming at all and desperately didn't want the story to end.  I'm in absolute shock and the suspense of what is coming next is going to kill me!
 
This is a sizzling, spooky and supernatural read which is perfect to slip into your beach bag on a hot, sunny, summery day. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi so i literally finished this book today after anticipating the end of the series for months whilst i waited for book 2 to arrive. But in all honesty I shed some tears after finding out this was the series end and I'm desperately searching for any sort of hints for a 3rd book or anyone who has some fan-created ending because I am genuinely depressed... I have so many unanswered questions! Do you have any idea - mind, I know this is a weird question you probably will have NO answer to, but its worth a shot - do you have any idea, ANY idea at all if there is a new book coming soon that isn't highly focused on yet, because i'm eagerly needing a confirmation f how this story would end lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry to say that I haven't heard any rumours about a possible book 3. I think that Dark of the Moon probably is the end of the series, although it's sad to say goodbye to the story and the characters. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any further news!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails