Thursday 29 March 2012

Review: Fury - Elizabeth Miles

Fury by Elizabeth Miles, published by Simon and Schuster on 29th March 2012

Goodreads synopsis:
It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...

Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay. Em and Chase have been chosen.


Review:
'Fury' is based on the concept of The Furies who often feature prominently in Greek mythology.  They're three witches or spirits who seek vengeance for wrongdoings and this lies at the heart of Elizabeth Miles's story. 

The narrative alternates between two characters - Em Winters and Chase Singer.  They have more in common than they think because they've both wronged another and now they're about to be punished.  Whereas Em's indiscretion is clear from the start, Chase's isn't fully revealed until a good two-thirds of the way through the book when the mistake he made costs him dear.  Although I knew that Em and Chase had both done things which were wrong, I couldn't help but keep thinking that Zach (Em's best friend's boyfriend) had done things far worse and that the Furies should really have been after him.  The ending luckily dealt with that quite well.

I really liked Em's friendship with boy next door JD.  As they've grown up together, they're completely comfortable around each other and is was obvious from the start that they'd make a perfect couple.  I loved JD's quirkiness and honesty and his unfailing devotion to Em.  Their relationship does change near the end of the book and I'm looking forward to seeing how this will be explored in the second book in the trilogy.

Although I enjoyed Em's story, I actually liked the chapters which were centred on Chase slightly more.  He's had a difficult time of it living in a trailer with his Mum and has desperately tried to fit in with his peers, sometimes acting out of character to try and impress them.  It was interesting to see the contrast between his behaviour when he was around his friends and when he was with his mother.  His story took an unexpected turn near the end which took me completely by surprise but was a brilliant twist.

I would have liked to have known more about Drea who fills Em in on the Furies and how she's involved in everything but I have a feeling that more will be revealed in 'Envy' the second book in the series.  I didn't love 'Fury' quite as much as I initially thought I would as I found the start quite slow and kept wondering when something was actually going to happen.  I also didn't click with all the characters but I still thought the whole concept for the book was fantastic and I'm intrigued to know what direction Elizabeth Miles will take the story in next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails