Thursday 27 August 2015

Review: Second Chance Summer - Jill Shalvis

Second Chance Summer by Jill Shalvis, published by Headline Eternal on 30th July 2015

Goodreads synopsis:
What do you do when you run into the man who broke your heart? Lily's been back in Cedar Ridge for less than ten minutes when she bumps into Aidan, the former love of her life. So much for sneaking back into town unnoticed. And thanks to frizzy hair and armfuls of junk food, she's turning his head for all the wrong reasons. No one knows why Lily is home after ten years, and she's determined to stay no longer than the summer. But Cedar Ridge and Aidan have other ideas. As they set about persuading Lily to give them a second chance, she finds herself falling under the spell of the Colorado mountains ... and the one man she could never forget.

Review:
Jill Shalvis's Lucky Harbor books are my go-to series when I'm in the mood for a generous helping of romance.  'Second Chance Summer' is the first title in her new Cedar Ridge series which didn't let me down.  It gave me lashings of romance, as well as hot sparks flying around left, right and centre.  Well it does feature firemen.  Yes, that's right firemen!

What I love about Jill's books, is the way that she creates a whole community of wonderful characters who you instantly care about and want to see more of.  This time, it's the Kincaid family who live and work on Cedar Ridge and are determined to make a success of their family business at all costs.  Although Aidan is one of the main characters, I also really loved his older brother Gray and his domineering and feisty wife Penny, as well as his younger siblings Hudson and Kenna.  My favourite thing about them all is that you know they are always watching each other's backs.  Although they joke and fight with one another, there is no doubt in your mind that they will stand together through thick and thin. 

When Aidan hears that local girl Lily Danville is back in town after a ten year absence, his heart can't help skipping a beat.  Lily was the girl that got away and now that she is back, he won't let her escape so easily next time.  However, Aidan and Lily are both carrying their own burdens of guilt and until they can leave the past behind, they won't be able to move on with their futures together. 

I absolutely adored the setting for the story too.  Cedar Ridge sounds picturesque with it's beautiful mountains and hiking trails.  First, I wanted to live at the beach and now I'm thinking that the mountains sound right up my alley!

This was a super read which swept me away on a tide of romance.  I'm most definitely eager to read the second book in the series now which will be centred around Hudson.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails