Thursday 3 May 2012

Review: We'll Always Have Summer - Jenny Han

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han, published by Puffin on 3rd May 2012

Goodreads synopsis:
Isabel has only ever loved two boys, Conrad and Jeremiah Fisher.

One broke her heart; the other made her happier than she ever thought she'd be. But each brother is keeping a secret, and this summer Isabel must choose between the Fisher boys, once and for all. Which brother will it be?



Review:
When this book arrived in my mailbox I couldn't wait to pick it up and find out which boy Belly was going to end up with.  Would it be her first love Conrad or his brother, the ever reliable and kind Jeremiah?  I knew who I was hoping for but my lips are sealed on the outcome as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.

The story begins two years after the events of the previous book in the trilogy, with Belly now at university.  She's made new friends and has done a lot of growing-up, but most importantly of all Jeremiah is her boyfriend and they're blissfully happy together.  I enjoyed seeing Belly as an independent adult making her own decisions and choices about her life.  She still has all the endearing qualities which made her such a great character but she's matured a lot throughout the series.  She has some more tough choices to make when an unexpected revelation turns her life upside down.

The majority of the story is told through Belly's eyes but there are a few chapters interspersed which are narrated from Conrad's point of view.  These helped to explain a lot about Conrad himself as well as some of his previous actions.  He's always tried to do the right thing, even when he's gone about it in the wrong way but I adore his character and I think I loved him even more in this book. 

Belly's journey has had it's ups and downs but I thought the ending was absolutely perfect and left me with tears in my eyes.  I can't believe it's finally all over.

I've adored this trilogy!  I love the way that Han has showed all the different kinds of love between the characters - brotherly love, sisterly love, first love, true love, maternal love.  It's made me laugh and cry and has broken my heart numerous times, only to put it back together again and make me believe in soul mates and true love.  In my opinion Jenny Han is one of the best young-adult writers around at the moment and I can't wait to read more from her in the future. 
  

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really fun book - and series - from your review. I haven't read any of them, but I think I'll hunt down the first one and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm an old gfc follower of yours. :)
    I'm sorry to bother you, but if you have time, Would you please visit my blog and follow me back?
    thanks!!

    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree! Absolutely loved this book, the love portrayed in the series, and that ending! Love Jenny Han!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your latest cozy book reviews for October. Your insights into these books are fantastic, and it's clear that you have a genuine passion for literature.
    https://www.promocodehq.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your review of "We'll Always Have Summer" by Jenny Han is a wonderful exploration of this book. It's clear that you've captured the essence of the story and its emotional depth.
    https://www.frugalishness.com/how-old-was-vickie-lynn-swayze-when-she-died/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails