Monday 20 December 2010

Review: Captivate - Carrie Jones

Captivate by Carrie Jones, published by Bloomsbury in 2009

Goodreads synopsis:
Zara and her friends thought they'd solved the pixie problem. And they had - sort of. They're locked away, deep in the woods. But the king's needs grow stronger each day that he's in captivity, while his control over his people weakens. Who will fill the power vacuum? Astley. He claims he's different. He claims that it doesn't have to be violence and nastiness all the time. Zara wants to believe him...until Astley also claims that she's fated to be his queen.

There's not way Zara would ever turn pixie. And she's got good friends who'll make sure of that. But besides, she and Nick are so in love they're practically inseparable. But when the very thing Zara most wants to protect is exactly what's at risk, she's forced to make choices she never imagined.


Review:
Amazing.  Incredible.  Exciting.  Phenomenal.  Brilliant.  Stupendous.  There aren't enough adjectives available to describe just how mind-blowingly fantastic this book was.  I found myself savouring every single word on the page and reading slower and slower as the story progressed because I just didn't want it to end.  I am so in love with this series.  'Need', the first book in the series, is one of my favourite reads of the year, but if possible I think Carrie Jones has done the impossible and written an even more amazing installment, that was so gripping it literally made my heart pound.  

'Captivate' picks up where 'Need' left off.  Zara and her friends are still battling against the evil pixies, while also trying to protect the people around them.  There are several new challenges which now face them and some new characters are introduced into the story.  Astley and Cassidy in particular are great additions.  Astley is the new pixie King, who wants Zara to be his Queen.  He causes Zara to question some of notions she has about pixies and shakes up the romance between Zara and Nick.  Oh Nick!  He has to be one of my favourite male characters ever!  I love the way that he's protective and heroic and is always there looking out for Zara and making sure that she's safe.  My stomach kept fluttering as I read some of the scenes between them because they are so cute and perfect for each other.  They are destined to be together even though there are several obstacles which look like getting in the way.  

I really like the friendship between Zara, Nick, Issie and Devyn.  They are always there to back each other up and support each other.  They have complimentary strengths and each bring something to the table which will help them in the fight against the pixies.  You know that they're always going to watch each other's backs.  Zara is also one of my favourite protagonists.  She's determined to make sure that her friends and family are safe, she's self-sacrificing and brave and she's not one to back down from a challenge.  She's also smart, self-assured and stubborn and her character comes alive off the page.  I really felt like I was experiencing everything she was going through as I read the book.     

There are some awesome twists and turns in the story too.  Some of these completely took me by surprise and I'm so excited about the direction in which Carrie Jones is taking the story.  She's not afraid to take risks and to shake things up and I don't think there's any risk that the series is going to stray into predictable territory.  Everything is very fresh and original and some parts had me gasping with shock and amazement.

I can't really describe just how much I'm loving this series - but trust me when I say that if you haven't discovered Carrie Jones yet then what are you waiting for!  You won't be disappointed!  I've already started book three which is entitled 'Entice' and I have a feeling I won't be getting much sleep tonight!

You can read my review of 'Need', book one in the series, here.        

Thanks to Bloomsbury for sending this one for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails