Monday 30 November 2015

Review: Everything, Everything - Nicola Yoon

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon, published by Corgi on 3rd September 2015

Goodreads synopsis:
Madeline Whittier is allergic to the outside world. So allergic, in fact, that she has never left the house in all of her seventeen years. But when Olly moves in next door, and wants to talk to Maddie, tiny holes start to appear in the protective bubble her mother has built around her. Olly writes his IM address on a piece of paper, shows it at her window, and suddenly, a door opens. But does Maddie dare to step outside her comfort zone?


Review:
Nicola Yoon's debut novel is an extraordinary book.  The story was so captivating that I read it in one sitting, unable to tear myself away from it's pages.  It's emotional, beautiful, sad and hopeful all at the same time.  It is a book that I will be recommending to everyone I know.  I actually haven't read many books this year which have totally blown me away but this one definitely did.  I absolutely loved it!

The main character Maddy, is an eighteen year old girl unable to leave her house.  Protected by the four walls around her and by her mother and nurse, she has never known any other kind of life.  When new neighbours move in, Maddy forms a life-changing friendship with Olly, the boy next door.  When friendship turns to love, Maddy's world changes and she suddenly has some tough choices to make about her future.  This story definitely posed some interesting questions about love and life which resonated with me a lot and which I found incredibly moving at times. 

The relationship between Maddy and Olly is something special and was beautifully conveyed.  They have an incredible bond which opens both their eyes and makes them consider what really matters to them both.  I felt the intensity which they share and the depth of feeling which lies between them. 

I did not see the HUGE twist coming at the end of the story but it was absolute genius.  It turned everything upside down and posed an interesting dilemma for the characters. 

I loved all the artwork and illustrations that accompany Maddy's story too.  These really enriched the book and were created by Nicola Yoon's husband David.

A stellar five star read which rescued me from a long reading slump!  

1 comment:

  1. Woah! It does look good to me! It has made my TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails