Thursday 5 October 2017

Review: Chasing Christmas Eve - Jill Shalvis

Chasing Christmas Eve by Jill Shalvis, published by Headline Eternal on 27th September 2017

Goodreads synopsis:
Run for the hills temporarily. That's Colbie Albright's plan when she flees New York for San Francisco. Wrangling her crazy family by day and writing a bestselling YA fantasy series by night has taken its toll. In short, Colbie's so over it that she's under it. She's also under the waters of a historic San Francisco fountain within an hour of arrival. Fortunately, the guy who fishes Colbie out has her looking forward to Christmas among strangers. But she's pretty sure Spencer Baldwin won't be a stranger for long.

Spence's commitment to hiding from the Ghosts of Relationships Past means he doesn't have to worry about the powerful - OK, crazy hot - chemistry he's got with Colbie. Just because she can laugh at anything, especially herself...just because she's gorgeous and a great listener...just because she gets Spence immediately doesn't mean he won't be able to let Colbie go. Does it?

Now the clock's ticking for Colbie and Spence: Two weeks to cut loose. Two weeks to fall hard. Two weeks to figure out how to make this Christmas last a lifetime.


Review:
I know I've said this many times in the past but I truly think that 'Chasing Christmas Eve' may be my favourite Jill Shalvis book yet.  It ticked every box for me and was an absorbing and happy read from start to finish - a real treat to be devoured in one sitting.  I loved it!

The romance between the main characters Colbie and Spencer made me so happy.  I'm sure I was smiling the whole way through the book.  They are both very similar in personality and temperament, as well as backgrounds.  They have both found incredible success in their respective fields but are struggling to deal with everything that goes along with that.  Although it's usually opposites attract, in this case, their similarities are what bring them together and help them to better understand each other.  They have such a short period of time together, that the Christmas Eve deadline is a barrier they must overcome.  Although there are obstacles in both their home and work lives, I enjoyed seeing them trying to work things out and had no doubt that they would get the perfect ending.   

I loved the fact that Colbie's occupation is a YA author.  She is forever scribbling down ideas for her stories on bits of paper and loves nothing more than surreptitiously eavesdropping on other peoples' conversations - perfect fodder for her books.  I thought that the opening chapter was great and so funny when she is at the airport and has an unfortunate encounter with airport security. 

Set in San Francisco, I enjoyed the setting immensely as it's somewhere that I would like to visit one day in the future.  It also features the rest of the gang from the series and I loved getting to see all of my favourite couples again.   

Jill Shalvis writes the BEST romances and this one was hot and sizzling!  I am so thankful that I discovered this author because she has quickly become one of my favourites, particularly when I am in the mood for a romance with real emotion and a heart of gold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails