Friday 12 July 2019

Mid-year 2019 books review wrap-up

I'm a little bit late with my 2019 middle of the year wrap-up but I thought it would be interesting to look back at how my reading is going so far this year, what some of my favourite books have been and what I've been enjoying and recommending.


1. My reading tally.I set myself the challenge of reading 180 books in 2019. I had a bit of a blip last year when I had a lot of other things going on and didn't have quite as much time as normal for reading. I also went through a spell of not particularly enjoying a lot of the books I picked up. I was determined that this year would be different and so far it has been! I've read 109 books between January and July (yes, I'm a fast reader!) and have discovered some absolutely phenomenal novels and new authors. There are lots more fantastic releases due out during the rest of the year and I'm once again head over heels in love with books.

2. My favourites.
Choosing favourites is always hard but I've narrowed it down to a top 5 (in no particular order). These haven't all been published this year but I'm picking from the titles that I've read in 2019.

Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas (published by Bloomsbury)
An incredible end to the Throne of Glass series. 980 pages of pure enjoyment from one of my favourite authors.
 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1408872919/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=adrofbo-21&camp=1634&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=1408872919&linkId=a4f29e0349ef944a08b5c1f8030f0019
 
A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer (published by Bloomsbury)
I'm loving the trend this year for fairy tale retellings. This is a brilliant twist on the traditional Beauty and the Beast story. Kemmerer's storytelling perspective is fresh and original and I loved this one. Read my full review here.  
 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1408884615/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=adrofbo-21&camp=1634&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=1408884615&linkId=4ad4f73c85085eb34838dee706b8e12a
 

Stepsister by Jennifer Donnelly (published by Hot Key Books)
Another twist on a classic fairytale but this time it's an inventive take on what happened to the ugly stepsisters after Cinderella was whisked off by the Prince. A sheer delight to read and a book which made me so happy!
Read my full review here
 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HQJRTHB/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=adrofbo-21&camp=1634&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07HQJRTHB&linkId=2426e205209dd07851c1644ee6479c0a
 
 Viper by Bex Hogan (published by Orion Children's Books)
I am obsessed with this book! If I could only recommend you read one thing this year, then it would definitely be 'Viper' which has reignited my love for all things pirate.
Read my full review here
 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1510105832/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=adrofbo-21&camp=1634&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=1510105832&linkId=9e6a978e15797905b368d872dd8f1f1e
 

The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley (published by Harper Collins)
The only adult read to make my top 5 of the year so far. A murder mystery thriller which is reminiscent of a classic Agatha Christie who-dunnit. Kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish.
Read my full review here
 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0008297118/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=adrofbo-21&camp=1634&creative=6738&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=0008297118&linkId=d6595e4b132e0c38868d79e921fd2411
 
3. Book/Author obsession
This has been the year that I've discovered and become obsessed with everything Agatha Christie related. I've been devouring her books and every week have come home with huge piles of her novels from the library. My favourite so far has probably been Poirot's very first case, 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles' but it's hard to choose because I have enjoyed so many. I now only have about 16 still to read (which I'm madly hunting for) but I don't know what I'm going to do once I've finished! 
 
4. Book miss
I was excited about reading 'The Record Keeper' by Agnes Gomillion but I really struggled with it. I do like some science fiction but this was quite heavily rooted in the genre and it didn't spark a lot of enjoyment for me. I've since seen some really positive reviews of the book from other readers that loved it though, so I always think it's worth giving books a go and making up your own mind. You can read my full review here
 
5. Surprise hit 
I picked up 'A Sky Painted Gold' by Laura Wood without knowing much about it. I thought that the cover was pretty and it sounded like my kind of book. I was really pleasantly surprised about just how much I enjoyed it. It's a wonderful read for summer, set in Cornwall (which isn't far away from me), features a dreamy romance and has brilliant characters that leap off the page. Laura's new book, 'Under a Dancing Star' has recently been published, so I'm desperate to get my hands on a copy as soon as possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails