Thursday 29 March 2012

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin, published by Simon and Schuster on 1st March 2012

Goodreads synopsis:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed. There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong.



Review:
The very first page of this book had me hooked - a letter from a girl going by a pseudonym who believes she's responsible for several murders.  And so the brilliant and mind-twisting 'The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer' unfolds.

After the deaths of her boyfriend Jude and friends Rachel and Claire in a mysterious accident, Mara's family decide to uproot and move to a new city.  Mara was the only survivor of the accident but can't remember any of the events of that night.  Watched closely by her mother and big brother Daniel she tries to adjust to a new school but keeps seeing the faces of her dead friends.

This was quite a long book but I sped through it because it was so good.  It wasn't what I was originally expecting when I first heard about it but it did meet my very high expectations.  I'll confess that I wasn't always sure what was really happening and whether or not the things Mara was seeing were real but I enjoyed puzzling it all out and although I finished this book several days ago I'm still thinking about it now.  I liked the way it challenged me and although I have some theories about what may really be going on I have a feeling that there are still plenty of twists and turns and revelations to come in what is an extremely unique plot.

Mara's love interest appears in the form of Noah Shaw.  I fell in love with Noah.  He's gorgeous (and knows it) but he's also smart and intelligent, witty and funny and his family just happen to be rich.  The achingly perfect Noah is drawn to Mara from the start.  I loved the way that he had to try and win her over and eventually does to the point that even if she wanted to resist him she wouldn't be able to.  I liked the way their relationship started off on pretty shaky ground but they eventually grew closer and closer.  Although they're physically attracted to each other, there's also a lot more to the bond that they share.

The sequel, 'The Evolution of Mara Dyer' is due to be published in October 2012.  I can't wait to get my hands on it as I need to know what's really going on!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you liked this book. I loved it so much too. And thanks for mentioning the sequel. I hadn't heard it's name yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a copy of this book for awhile, but I'll admit, I've been put off a little bit with the size of it. I like hearing that it's a fairly quick read regardless..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I love reading them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails